Part of the Dorset Online Parish Clerk network
Recent updates to website
East Lulworth is a coastal parish situated 6 miles south west from Wareham and 9 miles east of Dorchester. To the east is the parish of , to the north is Coombe Kenyes and to the west is Winfrith Newburgh and . The parish church of St Andrew has registers dating from 1561. Lulworth Castle lies within the parish, there is also a school and a post office. Population in 1891 was 358.
The small village consists of old thatched cottages and its village pub, the Weld Arms. The village is now dominated by the barracks of the Royal Armoured Corps Gunnery School who use a portion of the Purbeck Hills as a gunnery range.
The nearby Weld Estate Castle Park grounds contains the first Roman Catholic church to be built (in the form of a Greek mausoleum in 1786) since the time of the Protestant Reformation. There are spacious Catholic Schools and a Catholic cemetery was opened in 1830.
Joseph Weld built the original castle. A serious fire ravaged the castle in 1929
and it was left semi-